Sunday morning, Dallin complained that he didn't feel good. *sigh* He still had a residual (but impressive) cough from being sick most of December, but I wasn't super convinced that it was something new. Nathan told me that when snowmobiling the day before, he did spend a lot of time just laying in the snow... as evidenced by the picture below:
Dallin is the horizontal lump 😡
Sunday night around o'dark thirty, he came to my room in tears... his ear was killing him. Ear pain is intense, but there is so little you can do for it! After being miserable for a few hours, it finally ruptured and he had a brief respite... until the other ear started hurting... Obviously, he was in no condition for school that next day. He spent most of the day on the couch like this:
Waiting and hoping that his other ear would rupture already so that he could have relief from the pain!
Since he had missed 2 weeks of school in December due to anemia, pneumonia, ear infections and such, I called his teacher to let him know Dallin would be out for another day or two or three.... he was as disappointed as I was that poor Dal was sick again.
Back in December, with his spleen acting up and lots of blood draws and doctors appointments, we talked a lot about how eventually he'd have surgery to have his spleen removed... we have a very open dialogue and he asks really good questions. Upon the course of discussing his enlarged spleen, we discussed
why he can't play contact sports (because it could rupture his spleen and cause internal bleeding) and how important it is for him to tell mom or dad
immediately if he has abdominal pain- not to wait until school is over or until mom gets home from work, etc because if his spleen ruptures and we don't do anything about it, it could be life threatening. He seemed pretty alarmed by this (obviously), but I reassured him that IF his spleen ruptures, it won't kill him instantly 😌 but that it's a serious thing that shouldn't wait.
So anyway, fast forward to Sunday night, his ear
ruptures. He came to me several times, very concerned in the wee hours of the morning because of the drainage out of his ear. His concern increasing each time. I kept reassuring him that it was fine, that the drainage was what happens when your ear ruptures, there was nothing I could do about it, to just keep some tissue or cotton in his ear, etc. By the time I got the other kids off to school, his level of alarm had reached panic level- he was near tears and not sure why I wasn't doing anything! And then it occurred to me- he's aware that his spleen rupturing is a very serious thing- does he think that an ear rupturing is as critical? He was so relieved when I told him that the drainage is just the infected fluid from inside his ear (and the reason why his ear was hurting!) and that the copious loss of ear fluid in no way endangers his life.
He was out of school until Wednesday. Just in time for Eli to start up...
*sigh*
He ended up with pneumonia on triple antibiotics and was pretty miserable for several days.
I've lost count on how many rounds of antibiotics my kids have had in the past month and a half...